Bolognese & sourdough garlic toast 7.9.09

I'm really behind on my postings...but not on the eating or documenting the yummy food! I just realized that I have an anniversary to celebrate...one year since I started this project...that went by fast! I'm really enjoying writing here...and looking back at a year of cooking & eating with my loved ones. I am a little surprised a whole year's gone by...well, back to the food! I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong (i couldn't stand it...i looked it up to get it right)...but we made bolognese with capellini...Scott's favorite cut of pasta. This recipe is based on one I learned from an old friend...the same one who gave us our "pot & cover" moniker (did i use that word right?). He taught me how to make it one weekend in May 2005, when he hosted my parents wedding. We all devoured it...so simple and yet so delicious...well I shouldn't state it like those are two opposing characteristics...most often the simple is the delicious. He made his recipe with ground veal, which is so creamy and delicious...but pricey...so we used ground beef...can't remember which cut, but just removed the excess fat once it rendered. This recipe has lots of vegies...which makes it great for a family meal...an all in one dish I think, nutrition and taste-wise...what more could you ask for?!

the original recipe in my notebook
we used more vegies and not sure how much meat...at least 1 lb...and we make 1/2 lb pasta for the two of us (with leftovers always)...this is a rough guideline...but it all works out...pulverize the vegies in a cuisinart ( i do the onion seperate and cook it first...i HATE raw onion taste!)...sautee/sweat in little butter/evoo/s&p ...i removed vegies...then browned the meat, removing all excess fat after rendering (not necessary if using veal)...add red pepper flakes to taste (1/4 tsp to start)...add vegies back to pan...add favorite marinara jarred sauce (turn heat down or it will be a mess)...add splash of cream, add freshly cooked pasta & gently toss...top with lots of parmesean, chopped basil and more pepper flakes for those with iron guts!

We serve this with garlic bread/toasts...but it doesn't really need any...so delicious! minced onion sauteing/sweatingadd carrots & celery and sweat till tenderadd pasta sauce and other ingredientsadd pasta, cheese, basil...and EAT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf