The $ 0.75 bell pepper/iron chef challenge!

Finally we've actually made it to August! We've recently had a new appreciation for bell peppers. My parents love them...raw, grilled, any way....i didn't see the point. Neither did Scott. We finally added some to a batch of Marriage Chili(which Emeril's original recipe calls for, and we arogantly dismissed) a few months ago and noticed a difference...and we've been becoming bell pepper converts. I always 'wanted' to like them...they are healthy right!? But never cared....until now... Scott found some at the local Kroger...4 for $.79...they were VERY 'ripe'...still good, but on their last leg...but they are normally like 1.79 each! These were the highly prized yellow and orange...not those 'common' green ones... So he brought them home...not knowing what we'd do with them...just knowing they were somehow 'important'...(where's Madison to make sure I'm using my italics correctly!) anyway...inspired by shows like "Chopped" and "Iron Chef" on Food Network...we declared a cooking battle... We'd each get two peppers and cook them our own way, 'stuffed'...taste them both and vote on who won...amongst ourselves:) Not very official...but still FUN! Anyway...it was a draw... They were both delicious...better than expected really, at least by me. Scott was inspired by seafood...scallops and shrimp...me, by my mothers stuffed peppers (which I detested as a child, but my father LOVES). I didn't have her recipe...she can't even remember it...but I knew it was classic...ground beef and rice...and whatever other "mom" magic she had put on them (my mom, as her mother before her and her sister are fabulous home cooks). Scott's actually tasted better (according to me, which in my pridefulness surprised me;), but I used all ingredients we already had at home, which resulted in a very close runner-up...so we declared a draw. We agreed to pre-roast, peel and deseed peppers...then I rendered some leftover italian sausage..added some sauteed onion ( i think...i didn't write it down...foolishly thinking i'd remember....i'll learn one of these days...maybe:0) and added some left over rice pilaf...and topped it with some 'jimmy-rigged' tomato sauce made with tomato paste, roasted garlic and who-knows-what-else....
We roasted them both in the oven, in seperate shallow baking dishes...and they were far more delicious than a .19 cent pepper should be...but all that more inspiring that it COULD be:)
I was smart enough (or greedy enough) to make a note of Scott's recipe:
Seafood Stuffed Peppers:
2 bell peppers (one yellow, one orange...although I doubt it matters...but Scott disagrees)
Cooked Shrimp (not sure how much seafood, but ur only filling two peppers, so a handful of each)
Small Scallops, Sauteed onion in olive oil, s&p, 1 Cob fresh corn (one of Scott's favorite ingredients, and rightly so)...2 slices bacon, chopped, rendered, set aside, and remove 1/2 fat (I save ALL bacon fat, and so should you!)...cook corn (removed from cob) in rendered bacon fat, 3 min, add seafood, and season to taste w/s&p

Layer Seafood/corn mixture, sauteed onion, and chunks of Guyere cheese in the peppers till full (lightly filled, don't pack it in for goodness sake)...bake in the oven like 45min at around 375 or so...I don't remember...I was busy eating! These are seriously delicious! Oh yah...top with fresh basil...so yummy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf