11.26.2010 Homemade pizza's with Madi

I've always wanted to make my own pizza dough...so I did!  I used a quick recipe from my Chic Simple Cooking cookbook.  Used quick rise yeast and voila!  Was so inspired by Thanksgiving day that I decided to do this at my parents house the day after...especially since Madi would be there!  She's a great helper in the kitchen, and we've made pizza together before, just not our own dough.  Madi was so game...she stood on a wooden stool that's been around as long as I can remember...I asked her if she wanted to help...YES!  So at first she rolled out the dough and I turned it for her...then she wanted to do it all herself...okay by me.  She was even rubbing the rolling pin with flour!  Then we sprinkled a bit of cornmeal on a flexible cutting mat...put our rolled out dough on and topped it...Madi did almost all the pizza's and we ended up making a lot of them...I'd say at least 7.  She even spread out my sauteed onion and mushroom mixture which made her gag...now that's love, especially from a 6 yr old.
We had pizza stones in the oven preheating and slid the pizza onto them, made easy by the cornmeal.
Delish!

Lyssy's Simple & Quick Pizza Dough (I made double or triple of this for this day)
1 package active dry yeast (I use quick rise)
2/3 cup warm water (110-115)
pinch of sugar
2 cups unbleached AP flour
1/4 c cornmeal
1 tsp kosher salt
1 & 1/2 tbs oil (olive is good)
1/2 cup fresh rosemary or 1/4 cup dried (optional)  I use fresh and chop it up well...so fragrant.  I was afraid to use so much, but its great!  It does take a lot of stems to get 1/2 cup tho....

1. In a stand mixer, dump all ingredients and mix well, add drops more of water if needed to get it to come together.
2. Knead vigorously for 5 minutes, by hand with bench floured or in the bowl with a dough attachment (I must confess that I usally to it by hand because it's so satisfying).
3. Divide dough in 4 (or half for larger pizza's), shape into balls and place in an oiled bowl, covered in cling wrap & a towel and placed in warm place for about 30 min or till doubled in size.  I usally turn on the oven to low, then turn it off, just so the dough is in a warm spot.
4. Can be frozen at this point (we, Scott & I, save half for later, in the freezer after it proofs)...or rolled out and topped for pizza!
we topped it with storebought marinara, cheese, pepperoni, pesto, sauteed mushrooms/onions, other leftover meats....oh it was so yummy!  Got the oven screaming hot...at least 400 or more, with pizza stone if possible, and baked to done our liking.  The family that cooks together, endures together.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf