blackened ribeye sandwiches on toasted onion rolls! 8.21.09




We enjoyed our favorite "take out", bake at home wings last nite...from our favorite local grocery store, Market Street, who by the way also does a mean breakfast...brisket...enuf said. Anyway, tonight we are (Scott is) cooking blackened ribeye sandwiches (ribeye was on special at Market Street) on toasted onion rolls, with sauteed onions and mushrooms (which I've already sampled and got in trouble by the Chef for sampling too much, I got my hand smacked!) He made herb mayo, with fresh basil, rosemary, lemon thyme (which he once labeled on a ziplock as Lemon Lhyme by accident..LOVE IT!) I just got to sample a little of that too...yummy! The grill is preheating with the cast iron skillet on it, for the blackened steak...we learned to not make this inside the house the hard way. There are fresh 'maters, as my daddy would say and oven roasted french fries. I have a smirk on my face as I type this, thinking of the meal that I get to eat soon!



We like to cook with a "cooking movie" on...background entertainment of any movie we've watched enuf times to not have to really pay attention, but still enjoy. He choose "300" for tonight...so I can hear its heavy metal soundtrack and fighting in the other room...we both like this movie. Its beautiful to watch, although violent and not for the feint of heart...but it makes us both want to work out...which Scott does, I am on an undefined hiatus from...and yet we will eat ribeye sammies and fries anyway! Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day:)


Today was a "date" day...breakfast together, a movie with the fixin's (popcorn with butter and d.coke), a nap..., and now a movie and cooking and eating together...a perfect day....other than the fact that the cinematography of the movie today (District 9) made me nauseated...documentary style filming on a HUGE screen makes me sick to my stomach...althought the movie was entertaining in between me closing my eyes so I didn't "lose it"....on to better things...ribeye sammies and my sweetie...:)


I have to make note of what Scott did with the mushrooms so I don't forget...He sauteed an onion in oil till very carmelized, then removed the onions and drained thru a strainer to catch all the excess oil...carmelized onion oil! He put the oil back in the pan, and sauteed the quartered button mushrooms over fairly high heat to get nice brown, crispy edged...and added a pat of butter toward the end...seasoned with s&p....oh, they were to die for...I could have just eaten those all by themselves and been happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf