9.26.10 SW Pork Tenderloin Pot Roast

Southwestern Pork Tenderloin Pot Roast

 The windows are open, cool breeze flowing in the air...Fall is officially here! I don't know if its because I was born in the fall or if it's just my personality, but Fall is hands down my favorite season. It's refreshing, holds the promise of celebration of the upcoming holidays, including my bday.
The air today is reminiscent of the coast. I am 15 again, just waking up in my tent just off the beach in CA. I feel inspired in this weather...and relaxed.
Well Scott was inspired to make a pot roast with the pork tenderloins we had in the freezer...he defrosted them yesterday and after church this AM, we came home and cooked it together. It's been a perfect day so far...waking up together after a great nights sleep...church, breakfast, shopping for groceries for dinner...cooking together, then him off to watch football, and me to write. The windows are all open, the air smells of fall...and every pleasant memory I've ever had in this lovely weather comes rushing back. My soul can rest in this air...bring on the pumpkins baby!

(Southwestern) Fall Pork loin Roast
-brown the tenderloins (about 2.5lbs) in oil, we use our dutch oven...seasoned with s&p -remove to plate, add 1/4 C all purpose flour to pot, cook for 1 min, stirring. - add 2 TBS tomato paste, cook 1 min -deglaze with 1/2 C white wine till its evaporated -Add 1.5 C beef broth with 1 TBS Worcestershire. Pour into a bowl and clean out pot. - brown 2 C onions, 1 bell pepper, 6 med carrots, 1 stalk celery (cut into 2-3 inch pieces), 6 new potatoes, chucked, and 6 cloves chopped garlic (added a little roasted too). -add all other ing. back, including 2 bay leaves and fresh basil or thyme. Put in 250-275 oven for several hours...up to 8....okay just checked it, it took about 4 hrs at 275-lowered to 250 after 1 hr for the meat to be totally tender...we turned down the temp to 180...and planning to thicken the sauce when its time to eat...oh, it's yummy..also just remembered we put in about 2 TBS of HOT hatch chiles...they are adding a PUNCH and I think I need to revise the name of the recipe to Southwestern Fall Pork loin Roast.

I can hear Scott "whooping" in the other room...old football habits die hard. He called me in the living room to watch something he'd never seen before, ever, in football...the ref getting tickled and tongue tied trying to announce the penalties, cause there were so many at once...love it that he shares it with me, it really made him giggle.  The apt smells of porky goodness...Thank you Lord for a great day.
\
we used baby carrots, whole stalk of celery...
4 large cloves garlic, fresh ground black pepper & salt
aren't these the prettiest potatoes?!
browning peppers and onion, in a little EVOO
tomato paste
look at all that color!
ready for the oven...can't wait to taste it!
after all day in the oven...Scott took all the "chunky bits" out and kept warm in a metal bowl covered by a plate...then I thickened the sauce with a butter/flour blend...about 2 TBS each, mixed then whisked into sauce and bubbled about 5 or 10 min till thickened...
after dinner, and Scott cleaned the kitchen...(oh, how the left overs will be so good tomorrow!)...we went and sat on the porch for the first time in months...its cool, literally cool, not "cooler"...and breezy...all my green plants are so pleasing...love. Now it's time to plan for my fall/winter garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf