Birthdays & Independence

Today is Independence Day...in two ways...its the celebration of the declaration of our independence as the great country of the USA and a personal independence day for Scott & me...and our sweet little Cheyenne. We said goodbye to Cheyenne, who would be 16 in two weeks, and he said hello to his brothers in heaven..."no more worn out body little man". I made a carrot cake for our family celebration today...we're celebrating Mikey's 31'st bday which was June 30th and Independence day...and I'll be thinking of my sweet Cheyenne. I baked this cake yesterday to help keep me busy so I wouldn't just sit in a heap and cry...so I cried and baked instead. The recipe is from our dear friend and cake baker...well lets just say artist extraordinare, Cynthia Record Jehl. The frosting is the Sprinkles version of cream cheese frosting that I've been trying out lately, which is already on here. I made this cake about a month ago for Erich's 29th bday too...it was so good I used this day as an excuse to make it again.
Looking forward to seeing my whole family today. Dad's home for the day from driving. Madi is with Mikey for all of July and the kids and them spent the nite at mom and dad's (scary thought all of them in that house over nite...) Scott's out helping our sweet Sammy mow his and Judy's lovely acreage at the Mc's Ranch...working up his holiday appetite. I got up and made us pancakes, eggs and turkey bacon this morning. I slept restlessly, missing Cheyenne's little warm weight next to me. All these years I've looked forward to the bittersweet day I would get to sleep soundly and not have to get up to take the dogs out at the crack of dawn...its still bitter...waiting for the sweet. Just sweet memories now....and a new independence for the future. Its going to take some getting used to tho...its just too quiet with out our little guy. Laughing children and my loud crazy family will be just the antidote today...can't wait to hear Logan and Madison laughing and playing...and eat a little cake. Happy Independence Day Cheyenne...say hello to your bro's for us. It was an honor being your "dog momma" all these years.
Cheyenne Moses Works... 7/17/1993 - 7/3/2009
Cynthia's Carrot Cake
2 Cups all purpose flour, 2 Cups sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 3 Cups finely shredded carrot (about 4-5 carrots), 1 Cup vegi oil, 4 eggs.
Grease & flour a 13X9 pan or 2 9X1&1/2 baking rounds. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon, add carrot, oil, eggs. beat w/ electric mixer till well combined...I do this in my kitchen aid mixer, which is bright pink and makes baking even more fun. Beat on med speed 2 minutes. Turn into pan(s) & bake at 325 for 50-60 min in 13X9 or 40 min for rounds. Turn them half way in oven so they bake evenly, and test early with tooth pick so you don't overbake. Cool on rack, and remove from rounds after 10 mins. Cool well and frost/fill with cream cheese frosting, and chopped pecans. Enjoy:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf