Baking with Madison...thank the Lord for chocolate.

Madison was inspired to bake by her book...What's baking,Strawberry Shortcake?...and by her bunny cookie house she decorated yesterday. It was time to bake a chocolate cake...a good time filler for a five year old and her tired "auntie"...who earlier in the day while swimming and irritated at me told me that she was too big to play with toys...while she did the quotes with her fingers! How does a five year old know to do quotation marks with her fingers to emphasis her point!? I asked her what that meant, what she did with her fingers...and she replied something a little non-sensical...but no so much that it still didn't leave me scratching my head. I am amazed at what comes out of her little mind...she told me today, totally out of the blue that she was sad (this while watching a video right next to me and completely happy just seconds before). I asked why she was sad...and as only a child of divorce can so heart-breakingly say..."I don't want another bed...please don't get me a bed for your house...I don't know want another new bedroom" I promised her that we wouldn't...she can sleep in my bed with me until she asks me for a bed of her own... to which she promptly stated..."I will never ask you that question" I must note that this is the second time in 3 days we've had this exact conversation.

Thank goodness for the fun and innocence of baking a cake...life's hard enough...we need a little chocolate cake with pink sprinkles now and then.

This was a dress-rehearsal for her birthday cake. She read me the directions from her pop-up book, added the eggs, water, oil and stirred the batter before we put it in the oven. (she also helped me make pancakes this morning) After she ate her daddy's birthday cake this weekend and saw pictures of Uncle Erich's cake...she promptly requested me to make her a birthday cake for her next bday..."but it must be chocolate, with chocolate frosting to match the cake and big pink candles" Your on Madison! Chocolate chocolate cake with big pink candles it will be...

Comments

Works said…
"Don't forget, it needs to be a tall cake too Sisa...not flat like Daddy's but round and tall like Uncle Erich's"-Madison

Popular posts from this blog

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf