Quesadillas and Grilled Sandwiches



We eat a lot of these because they are so good, filling, pretty healthy and very quick and easy to make. Its rare that we wouldn't have flour tortillas, cheese, bread, lunch meat and butter on hand. I like my quesadillas better than most I've had in restaurants. I once got a quesadilla at a local "fancy" Mexican restaurant and it was two tortillas, just heated up with the cheese melted on top! I should have sent it back...what the heck is that? Not a quesadilla, thats for sure. Not to mention you usually get charged like 10 bucks for something that is poorly cooked and would take you 3 min to cook at home and cost less than a dollar to make. If I'm going to order something in a restaurant...it is usually something I don't know how to cook, or that is too labor intensive to cook..and I want to eat it now! anyway back to the quesdilla...I need that crispy cooked tortilla on the outside and properly melted cheese inside. Not too many ingredients either...I hate it when I eat quesadillas and there is so much crap in it that it falls out while your eating it and when its all done you are burping garlic or onions or something equally sharp all night...yuck.....whew take a breath...run on sentences...my english teachers would be horrified. good thing i'm not doing this for a grade:O

Scott loves a good grilled sandwich...tonight it was sliced roasted chicken and sharp cheddar w/mayo and mustard...very simple, on whole grain bread (Pep farm) and grilled in a nonstick skillet in foamy butter. My quesadilla was the same meat and shredded cheese (melts better!) and Franks Hot Sauce...(which I could drink), also grilled in same pan in foamy butter. The butter helps the tortilla get so crispy and the butter flavor is so yummy. I have a particular method of timing my quesadillas..
first: put your skillet over med heat and add butter
second: construct your quesadilla, for me its a med/small flour tortillas, filled w/shredded mexican blend cheese and strips of green chilis, sometimes i add meat or hot sauce ....what ever you want...oh leftover sauteed onions are awesome...
third: microwave the quesadilla for a few seconds, maybe 20 to start the melting process.
fourth: the pan will be perfectly hot and butter perfectly foamy at this point, so cook the quesadilla now! cook several minutes per side, until properly crispy, adding extra butter to the pan if needed. watch when cooking the second side cause the pan is hotter by now will cook faster.
fifth: put on a plate or cutting board...let sit for a min or two...if you can wait...if you can stand the molten cheese that will pour out...go ahead and cut it with a knife or kitchen scissors and EAT...I top it with sour cream and salsa if its for Scott...sometimes for me too
One thing about grilling the sandwich is that I put a small plate on top to weigh it down and help it get really melty and browned.
The grilled sandwich is pretty much cooked the same way...and that's all i have to say about that

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto

Rice Pilaf Recipe

Chicken Marsala & Pilaf